I reviewed 500+ job applications this week.
Here’s what people did right and wrong.
(Yes, I read (or skimmed) every single email and portfolio sent my way. My eyes are soooo dry right now ?)
✅️ What they did right
– Use my name (not just ma’am or “hiring manager). Multiple times.
– Attach a relevant, curated portfolio and interesting cover letter
– Politely followed up with a personalized message
– Did research into Copy Forest and expressed interest in helping me grow the brand and help people worldwide
– Sent me really funny and creative emails
❌️ What they did wrong
– Copy-n’-Paste Cover Letter
– Called me wrong name or “Sir”
– Send a Google Drive link (nothing else)
– Spammed my inbox repeatedly, sometimes just with, “?????????”
– Very poor grammar and spelling in work samples and cover letter
– Obviously had no clue who I was, what I do, and didn’t care to spend 5 sec looking at my profile before messaging me